PRESS RELEASE | JANUARY 2015
London, UK - The sixth edition of The Catlin Guide 2015 New Artists in the UK will be unveiled at The London Art Fair 2015, 21st – 25th January. The Catlin Guide will be presented on stand P25 alongside a selection of work by featured artists from the book. This fully-illustrated limited edition publication introduces 40 of the most exciting new graduate and postgraduate artists from UK art schools.
New features this year include an introductory interview with editor Justin Hammond by art critic Freire Barnes, and interviews with each artist detailing their up-coming exhibitions and aspirations for the future.
Painting, photography and sculpture are all strongly represented in this year’s publication, with many artists working in mixed media. Artists exhibiting at the London Art Fair include Fanny Wickström (Glasgow School of Art), Nicholas Johnson (RCA), Dominic Hawgood (RCA), and Oliver Hickmet (City and Guilds of London Art School).
“It’s about locating potential,” says Hammond, who compiles his top 40 in consultation with leading gallerists, curators, collectors and course tutors, following the most recent round of final shows and a lengthy series of studio visits.
“I’m looking for artists who are in it because they couldn’t possibly imagine ever doing anything else. Avoiding a precise criterion keeps the process exciting.”
“Selection for the book can be a springboard, especially for graduates from the smaller schools, outside of the major cities” continues Hammond. “Perhaps they stand to gain the most from making the final 40. The Catlin Guide will introduce their work to a new audience and help facilitate partnerships with curators and collectors.”
The Catlin Guide 2015 continues to be the only publication of its kind. It has become established as an indispensable tool for followers of emerging contemporary art, and a collectible item in its own right.
As title sponsors of The Catlin Guide and the Catlin Art Prize, Catlin Group Limited – one of the world's leading insurers of fine art – continues to help realise the ambitions of promising new artists.
The Catlin Guide 2015 New Artists in the UK will be available on the Catlin Guide stand P25, in the Art Projects section of the London Art Fair, Business Design Centre, Islington, 21st – 25th January. Following the launch, it will be available to buy for £12.99 from Amazon, Waterstones and selected booksellers.
To request a copy of The Catlin Guide 2015, images or any other press related enquiries please contact Anna Vinegrad firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0781 3808 487.
- The Catlin Guide is an introduction to the 40 most promising new graduate artists in the UK, recommended by a wide survey of curators, art writers, collectors, gallerists and course tutors. Each individual profile features a Q&A interview about future exhibitions, projects and aspirations for 2015. Launching as a strictly limited book at The London Art Fair between January 21st – 25th 2015, The Catlin Guide will be presented alongside work by many of the featured artists.
- The Catlin Art Prize. Now entering its ninth year, the Catlin Art Prize is an annual event showcasing the most promising art school graduates one year on from their degree exhibitions. The Prize is unique in providing the artists with the time and opportunity to develop their practice, encouraging them to demonstrate their progress by producing a new body of work to be exhibited at Londonewcastle Project Space, London 7th – 30th May 2015. The selected artists are taken from The Catlin Guide and are considered to be producing work of an outstanding quality, which demonstrates their capacity to make a significant mark in the art world during the next decade. www.artcatlin.com
- The editor of The Catlin Guide and curator of the Catlin Art Prize is the independent curator and art writer Justin Hammond.
- Catlin Group Limited is an international specialist property/casualty insurer and reinsurer and a leading underwriter of art insurance, both in the United Kingdom and worldwide. Catlin underwrites fine art insurance for a wide variety of clients including museums, dealers, exhibitions and private collections. Catlin has dedicated fine art underwriters based in London, New York, Sydney and Singapore. Catlin works in parallel with its policyholders and their insurance brokers to develop imaginative and effective risk management solutions. By doing so, Catlin underwriters help their clients realise their ambitions. Catlin operates the largest syndicate at Lloyd's of London, based on premium volume, as well as Catlin UK, a leading underwriting of commercial insurance in the UK. www.catlin.com
- London Art Fair. London Art Fair 21st – 25th January 2015, Business Design Centre, Islington is the UK's largest art fair for Modern British and contemporary art, with over 100 galleries featuring the great names of the 20th century alongside exceptional recent work, from leading figures and emerging talent. For a full list of galleries and the latest London Art Fair news please visit www.londonartfair.co.uk.